Monday, May 28, 2007

The Bridegroom Comes: Chapter Five

Wallace walked into Max’s fifteen minutes late, by design. Normally, fifteen might be pushing it, but he knew Simon would not leave—not after Wallace had baited him about the fundraiser for his school. He ignored the main room, walking instead into the side bar that would not see much clientele until the weekend. His eyes searched the corners –Just as he thought, Simon was huddled behind a small, dimly lit table against the wall. Wallace smiled to think that he had seen him just a month earler in full drag on a lit stage. Delicious. He strode across the room and extended a hand. “Mr. Stewart? Wallace Millron.” Simon half-stood and took the proferred hand in a surprisingly firm but, Wallace noted, rather damp, handshake.
“I’m sorry I’m late. Zoning committee meeting ran over—exciting stuff. You haven’t ordered yet?”
Simon pointed to the glass and half-emptied bottled water in front of him. “Thanks. I already ate.”
“Have you tried their radicchio salad? Food’s not exceptional here, but it’s the best thing on the menu. Do you mind if I order?” No need to get straight to business, he thought. Make him squirm a little more.
“No, go right ahead.” Millron’s feigned engrossment in the menu did not produce the effect he anticipated. “So, what can I do for you?”
“Well . . . ,” Millron made a show of lingering briefly over the menu before folding it and putting it aside. ‘More forceful than I’d expected,” he thought. “Either he actually has a pair of balls, after all, or I’ve really got him in a panic.’ “I hear the Court has taken on a new project. To your school’s benefit. You must be pleased.”
“Well, . . . .”
“Did you initiate it?”
“No, actually I wasn’t present when the idea came up.”
“I see. Well, I must say, I’m impressed, and a little surprised: I had no idea St. Monica’s was so progressive.”
“It has its limits. If you don’t mind my asking, why is this of interest to you?”
Simon’s directness took Millron by surprise again. “Well, to tell you the truth, it comes at an awkward moment, politically. You’re aware of my proposed amendment to amend the city’s human rights charter?”
“I’ve read about it.”
“Do you support it?”
“Of course. I admire your initiative. Sexual orientation should have been included years ago. But, I don’t see . . . .”
“Mr. Stewart, I’m a pragmatist, and I don’t like losing. I don’t propose policies I think will be defeated. But, several members of the council are fence-sitting on this one. I don’t want anything to spook them before we vote. And, I don’t anticipate that will happen until shortly after your drag show.”
“It’s not my drag show. I’m not taking part.”
“Precisely. It occurred to me our interests might be closely aligned on this matter. I take it the good sisters are not aware of your, uh, theatrical activities?”
“What are you getting at?”
“I thought not. It must put you in a very delicate position.”
“Like I said, I’m not taking part. If it even occurs.”
“There’s a chance that it won’t?”
“I’ve been raising some concerns.”
“Excellent! Any headway?”
“Some. They’re a headstrong bunch, and I haven’t been active all that long, or as much as some of the others.”
“They don’t sympathize with just how risky this could be for you?”
“Well, again, I’m not planning on taking part. So, some of them don’t see how . . . .”
“Perhaps I can help in that regard.” Millron fixed a cool stare on Simon’s eyes.
“I don’t get it.”
“Well, your friends may be a little thoughtless, but surely not heartless. You just need to give them a firm reason to believe that this event could truly spell disaster for you.”
“Such as?”
“Well, if someone were threatening to expose you, for example.”
“You?”
“Of course not. I wouldn’t dream of it. But they needn’t know that.”
“I wouldn’t think that would help your image with the gay community too much. Court members are not ones to keep things to themselves.”
“Well, there’d be no need to mention me by name. Tell them you received an anonymous threat.”
“I suppose . . . .”
“And I’m sure you can keep a secret. After all, if my name were to get mentioned, well . . . . That would be to neither of our advantage, right?”
“Well, certainly not to yours.”
“Oh, believe me, not to yours either.”
Simon felt a chill. He stood from the table and fished out several bills from his wallet.
“So, are we agreed?”
“Fuck you.”
“Oh, Mr. Stewart . . . .” Millron’s tone dripped with pity.
“I’ll do it. And you’re name won’t come up. Just stay away from me. And don’t ever talk to me again.”
“Hopefully, there’ll be no need to. I eagerly await the Court’s final decision. Keep me informed. Here’s my card.” Simon yanked the card out of Millron’s hand, and fled.

No comments: